While sweating out in the gym, do you feel that bag of chips or chocolate chip cookies is calling you? If your cravings start to go crazy, it’s time to do something about it because you are not at the mercy of your food cravings. You can learn to defeat them. Every person experiences different food cravings. While females are more inclined towards high fat and sweet foods, males crave savoury foods.
But before that, let’s understand what causes food cravings and why do we get attracted to them?
1. Mood and emotions play a significant role in causing cravings. You would be surprised to know that a person in a happy mood craves food more than those in a bad mood.
2. Advertisements too are responsible for causing food cravings- like seeing or hearing about some food. Seeing an advertisement for chocolate might trigger your craving.
3. The smell is another factor that contributes to cause food cravings. It is seen that most people passing by a cookie bakery or a restaurant, end up hopping in and gulping down until they are not satisfied. So smell makes you eat it, even if you don’t want to.
So, how can we reduce the food craving? Let’s take a look at the ways of keeping a tab on food cravings:
1. Drink plenty of water as some people find that their food cravings are at when they are well hydrated.
2. Get enough sleep otherwise disturbed sleep may alter your body’s hormonal balance. This imbalance may lead to food cravings, overeating, and therefore weight gain.
3. Outsmart your cravings by making healthy choices. Craving a grilled cheeseburger? Try it with a whole wheat bun and reduced cheddar cheese. Look for healthy alternatives that are healthy as well as satiating.
Moreover, out of sight doesn’t mean out of mind. Having strong willpower may help you overcome these food cravings! Try your ways out and let us know how you feel about it.